Monday, February 28, 2011

Sarah Palin and Emily Schmitz = BFF! (Almost)


Ladies and Gents! The most amazing, earth-shattering, spectacular thing happened this weekend, at the finish of the Iron Dog snowmobile race in the great state of Alaska. According to Wikipedia, the Iron Dog race is the world's longest off-road snowmobile race that extends 2,000 miles across Alaska. Sarah Palin's husband, Todd, competes in the race every year and is a four-time winner. Loves it!

So how does this story pertain to yours truly? I wasn't there, but my lovely college roommate from freshman year, Bethi, was. She lives in Alaska (lucky duck!) and was waiting at the finish in Fairbanks to watch her cousins's husband win the race. And guess who else was there? My fave Conservative/Tea Partier/former mayor/former governor/Fox News political commentator ever, SARAH PALIN!

The best part was that Bethi was right in front of her! I can only imagine what I would have done if I was standing five feet in front of the most delish politician ever. (When I was in college and Lance Bass came to campus to speak about the music industry, the event people passed me a microphone so I was able to DIRECTLY ask him a question. This prompted me to wig out, flail my arms, hyperventilate, and as a result was barely able to sputter out my words. The worst part was when I read the newspaper the next day and the reporter who covered the event mentioned me in his article, mistakingly assuming that I was 12-years-old. I was 19! Maybe he meant I was acting like I was 12?!) Anyway, the point is, I embarrassingly flipped out that much over a highlighted, gay boy band star from the late '90s. If I was standing in front of Sarah Palin? I would have been dragged away by security, I'm absolutely sure of it.

Bethi (again, that lucky duck!) went up to Sarah and explained that she has a friend who LOVES her, and told her that I even mention that girl-love in my blog address. She asked if she could get a picture, and voila! HERE IT IS! Taken minutes after Bethi mentioned ME, Emily Schmitz, to Sarah flipping Palin. Bethi, thank you soooooo much! (And if you ever run into her again, can you ask if she's looking for a guest star on the second season of Sarah Palin's Alaska?!?!!?!!!)

3 comments:

  1. You're a fantastic promoter of the Constitution, Emily. But Sarah is, for now, a cafeteria-style populist, not a dedicated constitutionalist (yet, but she's making progress).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darryl, I disagree! She DEFENDS the principals the Constitution delegates to the people- she doesn't contort the Constitution or bend it to meet her agenda, unlike other politicians. This is where I get confused- she supports our military, understands the burden of high taxes, socialized health care and big government... those are all upstanding qualities in a person, and especially a person in public service. She keeps the government responsible. How is this bad?

    And- regarding the populist comment, I'm pretty sure that the Americans that claim they don't like SP consider her a "populist" as a political strategy... you know, the "I'm a hard working, blue-collar American, living in Alaska with my five kids and my moose rifle" bit... but she is and she does! She's charismatic, and that's always refreshing to see in the political realm.

    ReplyDelete